Dear Friends of Boxwood,
It's been very gratifying to see Boxwood grow by leaps and bounds in recent years, however I've been teaching less and less to keep up with the organizational burden. I'm making a concerted effort to delegate more and spend more time behind the flute. Thus, I'm very pleased to tell you that Boxwood Williamsburg has been transformed into The Outer Banks Flute Retreat taking place at a spacious and fabulously appointed oceanfront house at the end of April 2017.
We'll have an opportunity to really dig-in with an intensive flute workshop in a wonderfully relaxing and supportive environment. We'll explore traditional dance music, airs, and vocal melodies from Scotland, Ireland, Cape Breton, Quebec, American Old-Time, as well as the baroque & renaissance. I'd also like to delve into playing backup, improvising and arranging as well as flute-specific topics including tone development, technique, ornamentation, phrasing, instruments and other topics to be determined through discussions prior to, and during the workshop. I'll lead classes on simple system wooden flutes, baroque and renaissance flutes, small pipes as well as sharing songs. The workshop is open to players of simple-system and modern Boehm system flutes. I'll be teaching the workshops and we'll have some special guests drop-in to round out the week.
Here's what's on tap:
• 5-days with at least 5-6 hours of daily group instruction
• Informal individualized instruction
• Evening sessions (depending on energy levels!)
• Multi-part ensemble playing each day
• Lots of time for jamming including fast and slow jams as well as regular 'beautiful tunes' jams
• A daily song session (for those interested!)
• Written music for all tunes - with melody, backup and multiple arranging ideas/variations in PDF format
• Dolphin-watching and pelican watching too!
• Ocean-front housing (private rooms and shared rooms)
• Fabulous meals prepared by our private in-house Boxwood celebrity chefs (?!)
• Saturday night welcome dinner with my own handmade pizza and more.
• All meals, lodging and tuition are covered in the workshop fee.
• Lots of beach time! It is typically warm enough to swim in the ocean at this time of year.
• Wide range of flutes available for those who would like to try keyed simple system flutes, baroque flutes, and renaissance flutes
• We'll enjoy our own private Hot tub, pool, volleyball court and pool table!
Registration will be extremely limited, so early registration is recommended. This will be a great tune-up for Boxwood Canada!
I hope you'll join me for a fantastic & fun week on the beach!
Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia into a music loving family, Chris’ influential work as performer, composer, recording artist, teacher and flutemaker has earned him worldwide recognition. His flute playing has appeared on more than 40 recordings and can be heard featured on numerous Hollywood soundtracks. Chris is founder and director of the Boxwood Festivals and Workshops taking place for the past 20 years in Canada, New Zealand, and the US, inspiring thousands of musicians of all ages. As a flute maker, he brings to bear a discernment forged over a 30-year career to make world-class flutes for traditional, baroque and renaissance music. Chris' awards and honors include a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal from the Senate of Canada, and a Doctor of Laws, honoris causa in 2015 in recognition of his artistic achievements and contributions to the community.
Sat. April 22
Arrive at the beach house and gather for an evening meal of handmade pizza, local seafood and more. A session will follow.
Sun. April 23 - Thur. April 27
Daily classes with Chris Norman at the beach house.
Fri. April 28
$950 -Private room (Saturday-Thursday nights), meals (Saturday dinner-Friday breakfast) and workshop tuition.
$350 - Bring your non-playing partner to share your room for $350, which includes meals.
Registration is an easy 2-step process:
Step 1: Complete the registration form below. Be sure to scroll all the way down and click 'SUBMIT'.
Step 2: Pay . To keep tuition costs down and to keep our funds flowing to the Scholarship Fund rather than credit card companies & banks, we prefer that you pay by direct transfer (EFT, PopMoney etc.), cheque or PayPal balance. Physical cheques should be made payable to BOXWOOD in USD and mailed to the address below:
PO Box 225
Lunenburg, NS B0J2C0
Information on Direct Transfer options will be provided in your Confirmation email.
Registration for the Outer Banks Flute Retreat is limited and is filled on a first come first serve basis upon full payment of tuition. Places cannot be held with a deposit. Our beach house(s) require full payment 60 days in advance, therefore cancellations made within 60 days of the event receive no refund. Refund requests made outside 60 days will receive a refund within 30 days of receipt of the full amount paid minus a $50 administrative charge.
To join the Boxwood mailing list, please click the link below. You'll hear from us every 1-2 months with timely updates. We will not share your address, nor will we pester you. Join Our Mailing List!